Joan Leishman Award
Joan Leishman Award of Merit for Excellence in Health Science Information
The Joan Leishman Award of Merit for Excellence in Health Science Information was established in 1996 to honour the Consortium's first Executive Director. Joan served in that role from 1990 to 1995, before going on to become the Director of the Gerstein Science Information Centre at the University of Toronto. The award is named in appreciation of Joan's accomplishments as Executive Director and in health science librarianship, and in recognition of the high esteem in which Consortium members hold her.
The Joan Leishman Award recognizes the contribution of a Consortium library staff member for the advancement of health care through health science information service. It recognizes the valuable contribution of library staff to the Consortium and the health care community.
The award is offered annually and consists of an engraved plaque presented at the Annual General Meeting of the Consortium.
Eligibility and Application Criteria
Candidates must be employed in a Consortium member Library.
Over a minimum period of the past year candidates must have:
- made a significant contribution to the Consortium (e.g., as demonstrated by excellence and achievement in advocacy, leadership, publications, presentations, teaching, research, technology, administration, special projects, serving on Consortium committees or any combination of these areas), or
- provided superior library service that has contributed significantly to health care and/or has improved recognition of the importance of hospital librarianship or health science information service in the provision of health care within the Consortium.
Nominations must provide specific examples of contributions of the nominee to health science information service and health care or to the Consortium.
The deadline for nomination submissions is September 30th each year. The award is presented at the Annual General Meeting in December.
- 2017: Sandy Iverson, St. Michael's Hospital
- 2016: Miriam Ticoll, HSICT
- 2015: Jeanna Hough, Halton Health
- 2014: Marina Englesakis, University Health Network
- 2013: Bogusia Trojan, University Health Network
- 2012: Penka Stoyanova, Credit Valley Health/Trillium Health Centre
- 2011: Christina Woodward, Trillium Health Centre
- 2010: Barbara Iwasiuk, St. Joseph's Health Centre
- 2009: Helen Michael, Gerstein Science Information Centre, University of Toronto
- 2008: Sheila Lacroix, Centre for Addiction & Mental Health
- 2007: Valda Poplak, Rouge Valley Health System
- 2006: Pam Richards, St. Michael's Hospital
- 2005: Susan Hendricks, Lakeridge Health Oshawa
- 2004: Syd Jones, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
- 2003: Elizabeth Reid, St. Michael's Hospital
- 2002: Doreen Millman-Wilson, Toronto Rehab
- 2001: Elizabeth Uleryk, The Hospital for Sick Children
- 2000: Maureen Pakosh, North York General Hospital
- 1999: Linda Devore, Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care
- 1998: Shahida Rashid, Sunnybrook & Women's College
- 1997: Carol Morrison, Ontario Cancer Institute
- 1996: John Jackson, Ontario Cancer Institute